How to get UK residency after Tier 4 Visa


If you are looking to getting a UK residency after studying on the Tier 4 visa, you can do so in two ways. For instance, you could switch your Tier 4 visa to a Tier 2 (general worker) visa or switch to a Start-up visa. You will not be able to apply for Indefinite leave to remain in the UK from a Tier 4 visa.

1. How to switch to the Tier 2 (general worker) visa:

In order to be eligible:

  • You must switch when you are applying from inside the UK
  • You switch if;
    • You have completed your degree course (completed all exams & academic papers, or
    • You apply up to 3 months before you expect to complete your course, or
    • You have completed one year of your PhD

2. How to switch to the Start-up visa:

In order to be eligible:

  • You must already be in the UK on the Tier 4 visa
  • You are eligible for the start-up visa and fulfil its requirements

Requirements include:

    • Endorsement from an approved business for your business idea
    • Receive a letter proving that you have been endorsed
    • Meet the English language requirements
    • Prove that you do have enough to financially support yourself whilst you are in the UK

If you would like more information on the Start-up visa, click here.